Fenris.

I was thinking this morning about the little silver pendant I asked for as a gift from my mom...thirty years or more, ago.

The original was lost years ago.
But I wear the same pendant, a silver Meas Howe dragon, or as I prefer, wolf.

I chose it all those years ago because it represented for me, Loki's wolf child, Fenris. It reminded me of how I wanted to have been brought up by wolves - like Mowgli in 'The Jungle Book.

And the wolves in that book, represent honour and justice, cunning.
And are monsters.
Wild and in thrall to their hunger.

The Maes Howe dragon
Or wolf
Was perhaps originally the Anzu bird - the divine storm bird who stole The Tablets of Destiny..

In all its forms
The Fenris wolf is a monster.
It or its offspring, will swallow the sun and eat the stars.
Odin himself will die in its jaws.

It is the wolf of the world's end.

So it must be bound.

By impossible things, a rope made from the breath of a fish, the sound of a cat's paws...

The sound of a cat's footfall
The beard of a woman
The roots of a mountain
The sinews of a bear
The breath of a fish
The spittle of a bird
And by trust.
Tyr puts his right hand into the Fenris wolf's mouth as a sign that the rope is just a joke, that the wolf need have no fear of finding this impossible rope any more difficult to snap that every other rope he has encountered.

He cannot snap the rope.
He snaps instead Tyr's hand....

As Tyr expected.

There is a price to be paid when binding monsters, the story told me.

Binding a monster will not be painless.
All the elements: honour, justice, and cunning will be called upon.
And the answer will be an impossible thing.

True or no' for you.
This has been true for me.





Popular Posts