Five point stars...

The Sumerians, and the Akkadians didn't use five point stars very often..

And Venus/Ishtar or Inanna is not represented by a five point star, ever..there, I've said it!

No really, this whole thing about the Babylonians designating Ishtar with a five point star looks like total rubbish to me. I can't remember a single occasion when I have seen a five point star in a Mesopotamian image.

If you know better, please let me know.

The basic star symbol represents the title Dingir -meaning god, especially in the first millennium BC

There is an archaic word that people say means corner (ub) and was drawn as a five point star, they say...

But actually it is more like a box with triangles added. It is hard to translate it, because I know so little. But it seems to mean something like the four quarters, meaning the area, or (in this case) the area of the world.

The next 'word' is translated as: (Old Babylonian) villages, settlements; the inhabited world; totality, world

So, no.
I don't see any connection between the 'Babylonians' and the five point Venus star.

Except the Babylonians would know that for every eight Venus orbits (cycles), our Earth completes five orbits (years).

The Egyptians, on the other hand, frequently used a five point star symbol as this image from the tomb of Tuthmosis III (1425 BC) shows. It is possible that the five point star (within a circle) means the Duat (the night-time Netherworld through which the sun rides the solar ship...).

Stars may also represent gods, and that's sort of an end to it.

Except perhaps there is a Venus alignment for some prehistoric monuments, but I don't think I'm going any further with this subject.

Popular Posts